HISTORY OF LAMAR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
The first Lamar Elementary School was built in 1890 and was named for Mirabeau B. Lamar. Mirabeau Lamar came to Texas as a volunteer and joined Sam Houston's Army. In 1838 he became the third president of the Texas Republic. He had a deep interest in the public school system and urged the Texas Congress to set aside land for the future use of schools.
The first Lamar Elementary building lasted only a few years before it was condemned. Demolition started in October, 1909 and by January, 1910 new construction had been started. Enrollment increased over the years and in 1921 two new rooms were added. This building served the community until 1948 when an entirely new, modern building was built. Now the third Lamar Elementary School was in place.
Some time after 1970, when observation of Lamar's 80th anniversary celebration was held, a fire brought extensive damage to the school. When the school was restored, it became the only air-conditioned school in Denison. Also, more classrooms were added on the lower level.
In the late 1990's a new Learning Resource Center, Computer Lab, gymnasium, and additional classrooms were built. In 2007 a new Headstart building was finished, housing three classrooms and offices. In the year 2011, Lamar Elementary contained three classes for each Headstart through 5th grade levels.
In the summer of 2012 construction was happening again at Lamar Elementary School. Improvements included additional classrooms, remodeling of some existing classrooms, an entirely new kitchen and enlargement of the cafeteria. By the fall semester, August, 2012, Lamar Elementary School had five new classrooms; four Kindergarten classes and one Structured Learning Class. The nurse's office, main office, conference room, counselor's office and LRC were remodeled. The LRC was now larger and furnished beautifully with new oak shelves and cabinets. All the 2nd grade classrooms in the upstairs hall were remodeled and enlarged by removing the old cloakrooms which had been a part of Lamar's original construction from 1948. The Computer Lab was now larger after being moved down the hall to a prevous Kindergarten room. Looking forward, Lamar is now ready to except an increased student enrollment once B. McDaniel and the present high school are remodeled, and the new Denison High School is completed in Spring, 2014.
(Some details were provided by Donna Hunt: firstname.lastname@example.org)